Annunciation Church was built in 1875 during the period when a large number of immigrants came to America seeking religious and political freedom. On March 15, 1875, one hundred seven contributing families drew up a constitution establishing a German Roman Catholic Church.
The original school built soon after the church, was replaced by a two room school that was used for fifty years. Each room contained four classes to serve a total enrollment of 100 to 125 students. Lay men were the first teachers, followed by the School Sisters of St. Francis of Mary Immaculate, Joliet, in 1908 to 1991. The Sisters directed the growth of the school to include its present two buildings-- the Primary Building in 1926 and the Upper Building in 1963.
Today, Annunciation has an enrollment of 230 students in grades preschool through eighth. Many of the students are descendents of the founding families. Annunciation faculty and staff continue the tradition of excellence in Catholic education, and are committed to preserving this tradition for another 130 years.